Friday, February 22, 2008

Sylhet, Bangladesh


At a dark chai stall in Srimongal. I took dozens of photos of this man to get it just right. He didn't mind at all and sat very still so I could open the shutter long enough.

At a festival for Pooja, Hindu goddess, through a dark field I came to a tent filled with people. As I walked towards this shrine, it became very surreal: the crowd parted, children crept up behind me, whispering, careful not to touch me, holding each other back. I was offered a seat at the front and a plate of cucumber, sugar candy and strips of coconut. Everyone watched me and I couldn't help but hold each child's stare and smile until they smiled back. It could have been a dream, but I've got photos to prove it to myself.

My tour guide's wife, a tea picker in the fields.

This family of betel-leaf cultivators welcomed me to their home with chai and biscuits. I chewed a bit of paan too, which is shaved betel nut inside a betel leaf. It turns your mouth bright red, and numb as well as rots your teeth if you chew often enough.

Tea bushes are grown in the shade on hills. This part of the country is incredibly picturesque.

1 comment:

Richard_Alomar said...

FYI

http://www.chobimela.org/