Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Navdanya- Bija Vidyapeeth Organic Farm

From the Himalayan hills of India, tribal women farmers came to the farm at Dehra Dun to learn about organic farming, biodiversity, medicinal plants, and to exchange stories. I feel humbled by their amazing lives which I can't begin to describe. Each day we sat in the grass or worked in the fields and connected through hand gestures and pointing to learn each other's languages. When the sun went down we built fires, danced and sang Beatles songs and ballads from the hills. After 4 days of bonding with women from a world completely alien to me, all of us had tears in our eyes, and exchanged addresses, promising to meet again in the hills one day.

I've seen a side of India that is filled with so much beauty and love for the earth and all living things: plants, humans, animals, soil.
Experimenting with Composts
Bio-gas Station

6 comments:

Richard_Alomar said...

AS days and postings have gone by, I've noticed that your photos have become more descriptive and shall I say...poetic??

hk said...

thank you! Life is becoming sort of poetic, metaphoric and passionate here...

Unknown said...

Hi,
the landscape you describe it is very touching. I will be in India in february I would love to know more about the organic farm and of opportunities to volunteer there.
thanks
Anna

hk said...

Anna,
The organic farm is a serene place to learn about India, biodiversity and organic farming. You can check out their website where they list their courses. http://www.navdanya.org/bija/courseoutlines/2009/index.htm
The simple accommodations are beautiful earthen rooms and the interactive courses are held in a field or outdoor pavilion. Everyday of the course you will spend a little time working the land or helping with the chores. It is an experience I will never forget. I hope you enjoy India!

iwantmythunder said...

Hi there. I came across your blog by googling "bija vidyapeeth." I'm working there for two months this summer and I couldn't be more excited. My boyfriend is coming with me to share in the experience. However, he must continue his job while he is there, which requires internet access. I've been searching all over to try and find more info about the situation with internet on the farm, but it's difficult since not many people who go there probably need the use of the internet. I was wondering if you could give me some information, if you have any. I would appreciate it so much. Thanks :)

hk said...

Hi, There is no internet on the farm... it is definitely a place to unplug! Navdanya does have an office in Delhi where I also stayed for a bit and some people volunteer, but it is not the farm experience you're looking for. I still think about the farm often... It is a beautiful memory for me. Enjoy yourself there. I'm very happy for you! Any other questions you can email me H3ath3r_k@yahoo.com