Sunday, January 20, 2008

Agra: Street Life

I'm so happy. I can smell the flowers. We are in Agra, in a "No Pollution Zone", where only battery powered vehicles are allowed, where pedestrians and cyclists rule the streets. Only after living in smoky, polluted, dense, urban Indian air could clean air and trees be so unbelievably refreshing. I have this dream about the Taj Mahal at sunrise, mist hanging like a blanket, making it invisible at the base. So we're waking up extra early tomorrow and walking down the quiet road to the Taj. I got a few glimpses today from afar and thanks to my super-telephoto zoom, some good pics too.






Agra is a great city to walk, get lost in, wander the windy, narrow streets. Children are everywhere, playing games in the streets at intersections where the road widens a bit. Even outside the No Pollution Zone, few cars and rickshaws drive. As usual we were followed by groups of kids asking our names, our country, and 5 rupees??? I've started to just give in and hand them what ever change I have. Anyway, 5 rupees is only 20 cents.












No comments: