Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Betel tree in the Khasia village

Post started on 2/17/08... not published on the blog til now:


In two short days I experienced so much, I can't begin to describe it all. Over time, I'll reveal the story of my trip to Srimongal through the picturesque hills of tea gardens, pineapple plantations, in the tropical rainforest, through villages of betel-nut and betel-leaf cultivators, at the Hindu festival for Pooja that I happened upon one clear night and the fascinating people I met along the way including a young geologist working for Chevron, drilling for oil in the fragile Bengal landscape. (As you can imagine, we had lots to talk about!)

Everything is an adventure here. I asked my tour guide, Santoush if he could bring me to an ATM at some point during the day. We kept driving and stopping, asking directions, twice walking into what looked like an old Victorian home, but without furniture, just a desk in each room. How could anyone think that these places might be a bank? After an hour and a half of driving, wondering if I should be stopping this wild goose chase or just enjoy the adventure (and actually being let out of the car to navigate the crowded streets once in a while) I realized that the Bengali people truly want to help and this time it had led to an undesirable situation for all, and I was the only one who would stop it. Finally I told Santoush that I wanted to get going on our tour. His face was flush with self disappointment at not being able to find what I needed, but I suspect there was a bit of relief too.

No comments: